Job Description: Director of Development
The Director of Development leads the fundraising efforts of 103.3 Asheville FM and works closely with the General Manager to oversee and manage all aspects of 103.3 Asheville FM’s development program. The Director of Development must be able to think strategically and practically to implement a comprehensive and results-oriented development plan that includes traditional and innovative strategies.
REPORTS TO: The General Manager
The Director is responsible for organizing the annual development plan to achieve 103.3 Asheville FM’s External Development goals as developed by the External Committee of the FCOR Board in collaboration with the station General Manager. This includes:
- Building awareness and loyalty among key listener segments, including news/talk: And, mining each segment as a source of development revenue
- Leading the Development Team: And, organizing and coordinating activities and collaborative work across internal teams to ensure an integrated marketing development effort. Teams include: Fund-Raising, Events, Communications and Underwriting
- Overseeing 103.3 Asheville FM’s donor-development and fund-raising efforts: And, planning and coordinating marketing development activities in parallel to the three planned fund drive events annually
- Identifying, enrolling and supervising selected DJs in the primary listener segments to organize and implement community outreach and marketing development activities
- Aligning work activities, resources and development spending with 103.3 Asheville FM’s marketing priorities, guided by specific financial objectives assigned by the General Manager
- Works with the General Manager to identify the priority listener segments, Team Leader candidates and DJ representatives for each development plan year
- Formulates the marketing and development strategy for each segment to deliver development objectives: Works with the General Manager to set development objectives, revenue goals and the annual operating budget for each segment and in total
- Creates and maintains the Annual Development Plan calendar, combining individual listener segment and fundraising activities to produce the overall plan
- Coordinates development planning and sponsorship initiatives with the General Manager and Underwriting team: Coordinates fundraising planning, development and execution with the General Manager and Fundraising team leaders
- Recruits, trains and directs the Segment Team Leaders: Assists the General Manager in recruiting and training the Fundraising and Event team leaders and volunteers
- Supervises the Segment Teams in formulating their individual marketing development plans, producing and executing individual events, and managing their assigned budgets to deliver their objectives for each quarter and the plan year
- Work with the General Manager to ensure that Asheville FM’s Salesforce.com development database is up to date and accurately reflects various fundraising efforts.
Skills & Abilities
- Embodies the Asheville FM mission, and exemplifies a collaborative, decisive, motivating and engaging communication style
- Exercises tact and discretion, attention to detail and a commitment to excellence
- Excellent managerial skills and the ability to balance multiple priorities in a complex environment
- Knowledge of applications and proficiency in applying technology tools to facilitate project development and management, group communications and budgeting/control
- Working knowledge of development best practices, trends in community broadcasting development tactics, fundraising tools and technology, including donor databases, e-mail and online campaigns, and donor research
- Associate’s degree in Communications, Marketing, Business Administration or other related field: Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Community Radio volunteer and/or employee participation and development experience
- 3 years of supervisory management experience handling complex development tasks
- Project Management experience
- Experience in successfully managing marketing and development staff a plus
Email your cover letter, resume, and references to firstname.lastname@example.org
Open until filled preference given to those applications received by July 24, 2018
$13.00 per hour
This is a part-time (20hrs/week) limited term (6 months) position. If the candidate successfully achieves the goals of the position it could lead to permanent status.
AshevilleFM is a 501c3 nonprofit corporation and an equal opportunity employer.
AshevilleFM values racial and cultural diversity, the well-being of the environment, equitable labor practices, education and the arts, as well as social and economic justice. AshevilleFM seeks to build relationships with like-minded regional businesses in order to build partnerships that are culturally transformative.