Volunteer & Outreach Coordinator
103.3 Asheville FM Community Radio
103.3 Asheville FM is seeking a volunteer & outreach coordinator to facilitate community access and training in radio by identifying, organizing, and placing volunteers in positions at Asheville FM to support the ongoing work of the station. This person will also perform outreach to the community and assist with station events and membership drives.
- Be part of our mission to support the people who make Asheville a great place to live and work
- Inspire community members to support and participate in our community radio mission
- Enjoy work-life flexibility to meet your personal obligations while delivering professional success
- Experience a fun, fast-paced, creative, and collegial workplace
50% – Volunteer Coordination
Promote the Asheville FM community mission to community members in our listening area.
- Recruits new volunteers
- Responds to inquiries from potential volunteers
- Conducts or coordinates volunteer orientation on the AshevilleFM Mission, operations, and policies
- Provides written materials with helpful information about AshevilleFM
- Creates and maintains volunteer forms, database, and website
- Helps volunteers find a role in AFM that is needed by the station and matches their abilities, and preferably matches their interests. Sometimes assigns needed tasks to volunteers with no record of volunteer activity in recent months, regardless of the interest level of the volunteer in the particular task.
- Oversees volunteer assistants who help with the effort to bring top quality volunteers to the organization
25% – Internship Coordination:
Promote the Asheville FM community mission to Colleges, Universities, and High Schools and their students in our listening area.
- Handles administrative activities for the student and their schools
- Attends internship recruitment activities and develops relationships with Universities and High School staff
- Holds regular check-in with interns and developing job tasks in partnership with Department Heads where the intern is placed
20% – Outreach
Actively recruit and promote the Asheville FM community mission to underrepresented community members in our listening area.
- Build collaborative relationships with community organizations to facilitate recruitment opportunities
- Foster and promote the values of diversity and inclusion
- Work effectively with a diverse community
- Create and support outreach strategies that attract diverse members of the community
5% – Support Fundraising and Other Duties as Assigned
Support the General Manager in other activities
- With advance notice, arrange schedules to work extended hours during key events or fund-raising periods, including evenings and occasional weekends at the direction of the General Manager
- Assist in event planning, securing sponsorship, and in-kind food donations during membership drives.
- Other duties as assigned by the station’s General Manager.
Goals and Expectations
Specific goals will be set at the time of appointment, and the appointment will be reviewed within 90 days of hire. Meeting goals during the first 90 days, and at the end of the “probationary” period (six months after hire) will be taken into consideration.
Criteria For Success
- Passionate supporter and promoter of Asheville FM and community radio
- 2 or more years of experience and/or demonstrated skills in some or all of the following: volunteer management including event staffing, meeting facilitation, training, and community outreach
- Self-starter, creative, imaginative, ambitious, skilled in time management
- Able to communicate professionally as a business writer in English; Spanish language proficiency a plus
- Able to provide excellent customer service and cultivation skills as demonstrated by application materials.
- Able to be on time for scheduled appointments
- Ability to interact effectively with individuals of diverse cultural backgrounds.
- Proficiency in current computer technology including word processing; Google documents and drive; experience with Excel, Access or other databases; video conferencing set up, control, hosting, and presentations
- Adaptability and willingness to learn new technologies
- Reliable transportation
- Consistent availability on weekdays and willingness to work occasional evenings and weekends as needed for station events.
- Minimum 3 years of volunteer management experience.
- Excellent interpersonal skills including a demonstrated ability to build and sustain positive relationships; a history of working collaboratively with others; effective verbal and written communication skills; experience working effectively with a diverse community of staff, volunteers, listeners, and donors
- Excellent Problem-Solving skills including demonstrated listening skills; sensitivity to multiple points of view; and experience solving problems
- Knowledge of digital media and the digital landscape.
- Goal-oriented, accountable, self-motivated, driven, team player with strong project management skills.
- Affinity for non-profit, public media, and Asheville FM.
- Knowledge of Asheville and WNC.
Application Process: Email your cover letter, resume, and references to firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: Open until filled with preference given to those applications received by April 16, 2021
Compensation: $15.50 per hour.
Position Type: This is a permanent part-time position (20 hours/week).