We submitted this to the Alliance For Community Media for consideration for their award: Overall Excellence in Community Radio.
This “sample” of 20 minutes includes clips from five of our approximately 70 shows. We think It captures the breadth of our offering and our commitment to being a resource for our community.
- Kicking us off is Asheville FM Live Music Sessions, a show created out of the pandemic. A live concert played to an audience of our Live Remote Team, and broadcasted live to our listening audience. It was our way of paying bands and venues who had no work, and providing live music to our listeners who had no shows to go to. We continued in 2022 as a live free concert. Thanks to our partners The Getaway River Bar and Bhramari Brewing we offer the free show, but still pay local bands.
- Next, we hear from the Ecstatic Listening a show featuring free form music, birds songs, whale jazz, sound art, and community love. This episode highlights a project the station was involved in to find and debut “radio artists” in partnership with our local Black Mountain College Museum and Arts Center. The museum celebrates the history of Black Mountain College, one of the leading experimental liberal art schools in America until its closure in 1957.
- Slay The Mic is up next. Slay the Mic is a show comprised of Hip-Hop, RnB, entertainment news, and social issues. This episode aired on Juneteenth week and included a conversation about Black Excellence with a local hip hop entertainer.
- Next, we go live with Asheville FM Music Sessions, a show that highlights music from the shows concerts and gigs happening in Asheville each week. This episode also features a live interview and performance from a local musician.
- We end with the Queer Calendar of Events from an episode of Sweet Tea – A show that celebrates everything LGBTQIA+ in Asheville and beyond. Each week the show highlights all queer events that are happening in and around Asheville and that calendar is also posted on Asheville FM’s website and social media channels as a service to that community.
We’re proud of all of our volunteer programmers and this selection represents the broad diversity of voices, genres, and topics that we broadcast every week. We hope you enjoy it!