Airing at 2pm EST on 1/16/22 on AFM, podcasting in full at TFSR.WTF
Exile, World Systems Analysis and Anarchism with Andrej Grubačić
Andrej Grubačić is a former teacher at the University of Rojava, founding Chair of Anthropology and Social Change at the California Institute of Integral Studies, author of books such as Don’t Mourn, Balkanize!, co-authored Wobblies and Zapatistas with Staughton Lynd and most recently the co-author of Living At The Edges of Capitalism: Adventures In Exile and Mutual Aid with Dennis O’Hearn. Andrej is also the editor of the Journal of World-Systems Research as well as the Kairos imprint at PM Press. For the hour we speak about anarchism, the Yugoslav experiment, exile, World-Systems Analysis, Rojava, his friend David Graeber and other topics.
If you’re listening to the radio version, we suggest checking the podcast on any streaming platform or at our website, links at the website, TheFinalStrawRadio.NoBlogs.Org for a longer version plus Sean Swain’s weekly segment. You can also check the post there for a transcription in the very near future and a booklet or zine version for easier sharing and reading.
A couple of Grubačić pieces found online:
- Anarchism, Or The Revolutionary Movement of the Twenty-First Century (Graeber & Grubačić)
- Don’t Mourn, Balkanize! is on The Anarchist Library as a PDF
Some further reading suggestions include (more references in upcoming transcript):
- Daniel Guérin (French, Gay, Libertarian socialist):
- Balkan Federalism on wikipedia
- The Living Theatre anarchistic theater group out of NYC
- (Movement of the Free Spirit by Raoul Vaneigem, out of print but still on AK Press website)
- The Age of Globalization (pdf) by Benedict Anderson, the updated edition of Under Three Flags: Anarchism and the Anti-Colonial Imagination. Published by Verso, but seems out of print
- Sho Konishi, Anarchist Modernity: Cooperatism and Japanese-Russian Intellectual Relations in Modern Japan
- Ilham Khuri-Makdisi, The Eastern Mediterranean and the Making of Global Radicalism, 1860-1914
- Marx’s correspondence with Vera Zasulich shows his development towards Libertarianism near the end of his life: https://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1881/zasulich/index.htm
- Jason W. Moore (Capitalist World Ecology proposition): ECOLOGY, CAPITAL, AND THE NATURE OF OUR TIMES: ACCUMULATION & CRISIS IN THE CAPITALIST WORLD-ECOLOGY
Anti-Repression in Asheville
As a follow up to the episode we did about protests against the homeless sweeps by the city of Asheville, the Asheville Police appears to be serving arrest warrants to people for charges like felony dumping and aiding & abetting felony dumping in relation to the Aston Park protests on Christmas, when the Asheville police arrested multiple journalists from the Asheville Blade as well as others present in the park prior to cufew. If you think this is bullshit and want to help, consider a donation to the Blue Ridge ABC bail & legal defense fund via their venmo, @BlueRidgeABC. You can also send funds to any of The Final Straw’s accounts, found at TFSR.WTF/Support, and mention ABC Bail in the comments.