Asheville FM 103.3 WSFM-LP Jazz, World, Experimental, and Top 30 Play Charts, April 29-May 5, 2018
JAZZ top ten
1. Sunwatchers _ II (TROUBLE IN MIND)
2. Alan “Gunga” Purves _ Hide & Squeak (BROKKEN)
3. Sun Ra _ Of Abstract Dreams (STRUT/ART YARD)
4. Roscoe Mitchell/Matthew Shipp _ Accelerated Projection (ROGUE ART)
5. Anne-Liis Poll/Alistair MacDonald _ Untold Story (LEO)
6. Spontaneous Music Ensemble _ Karyobin (EMANEM)
7. Khan Jamal Creative Arts Ensemble _ Drum Dance To The Motherland (EREMITE)
8. Evan Parker/Barry Guy/Paul Lytton _ Music for David Mossman (INTAKT)
9. Ivo Perelman/Matthew Shipp _ Oneness (LEO)
10. Rempis Percussion Quartet _ Cochonnerie (AEROPHONIC)
(compiled by Jazz director Jonathan Price)
World Music top ten
1. Orequesta Akokan – La Corbata Barata (DAPTONE)
2. Imarhan – Temet (CITY SLANG)
3. Sidi Touré – Toubalbero (THRILL JOCKEY)
4. Femi Kuti – One People, One World (KNITTING FACTORY)
5. Eugenia Georgieva – Po Drum Mome (RIVERBOAT)
6. Beyond the Pale – Ruckus (BOREALIS)
7. Eva Salina & Peter Stan – Sudbina (VOGITON)
8. Brenda Navarrete – Mi Mundo (ALMA)
9. Morena y Clara – No Llores Mas (PHARAWAY SOUNDS)
10. Kiran Ahluwalia – 7 Billion (SIX DEGREES)
(compiled by World Music director P-Funk)
Experimental Music top ten
1. Marc Ribot’s Ceramic Dog-YRU Still Here? (NORTHERN SPY)
2. Mouse on Mars-Dimensional People (THRILL JOCKEY)
3. Alan “Gunga” Purves-Hide and Squeak (BROKKEN)
4. Sunwatchers-II (TROUBLE IN MIND)
5. Elizabeth A Baker-Quadrivium (AEROCADE)
6. Pat Battstone, Marialuisa Capurso, Adolfo La Volpe, Mariasole de Pascali, Francesco Massaro, Giacomo Mongelli-Elements (LEO)
7. Ralph White & Steve Marsh-Two Distinguished Gentlemen (SELF SABOTAGE)
8. Plaster-Transition (KVITNU)
10. Zach Phillips-It’s Your Birthday (FEEDING TUBE)
(compiled by Experimental Music director Dogeye)
Top 30 Play Chart, week of April 29-May 5, 2018; WSFM-LP, 103.3 FM, Asheville FM, North Carolina
1.) Kitten Forever _ Semi-Permanent (Rat Queen)
2.) 12) The Damned _ Evil Spirits (Spine Farm)
3.) A Place to Bury Strangers _ Pinned (Dead Oceans)
4.) 20) Post Animal _ When I Think of You in a Castle (polyvinyl)
5.) Sarah Louise _ Deeper Woods (Thrill Jockey)
6.) X) 27) 19) 14) 2) 10) Guided By Voices _ Space Gun (GBV Inc.)
7.) 14) 3) 8) Nihilist Cheerleader _ Riot, Right? (Perfect Attendance)
8.) Livingdog _ All This Beauty (Eternal Mind)
9.) 1) Sleep _ The Sciences (Third Man)
10.) 29) Wrong _ Feel Great (Relapse)
11.) 3) Messthetics _ The Messthetics (Dischord)
12.) 2) 1) Nest Egg _ Nothingness is Not a Curse (Fuzz Club)
13.) 5) King Tuff _ The Other (Sub Pop)
14.) 4) Drinks _ Hippo Lite (Drag City)
15.) 17) 5) Haley Heynderickx _ I Need to Start a Garden (Mama Bird Recording Co.)
16.) 25) The Pandoras _ Hey! It’s the Pandoras (Burger Records)
17.) Snackbeard _ Snackbeard (Exocubic Media/Negative Platinum Music)
18.) 23) 4) Amen Dunes _ Freedom (Sacred Bones)
19.) X) 7) 15) Orquesta Akokaq _ Orquesta Akokan (Daptone)
20.) X) X) X) X) 18) 15) Marc Ribot’s Ceramic Dog _ Y R U Still Here (NORTHERN SPY)
21.) X) X) X) 18) 11) 17) 11) 1) The Breeders _ All Nerve (4 AD)
22.) 15) X) X) X) 4) 13) 1) Superorganism _ Superorganism (Domino)
23.) X) X) X) 27) Bonny Doon _ Longwave (Woodsist)
24.) 16) Yung Wu _ Shore Leave (Bar/None)
25.) 11) Kississippi _ Sunset Blush (Bug Crusher)
26.) 26) VOWWS _ Under the World (Anti Language)
27.) 21) Dungen & Woods _ Myths 003 (Mexican Summer)
28.) 8) Bat Fangs _ Bat Fangs (Don Giovanni)
29.) 6) 23) Brazilian Girls _ Let’s Make Love (Six Degrees)
30.) Death By Unga Bunga _ So Far so Good so Cool (Jansen)
weekly rank.) previous) rank) * X) = did not chart that week
Top 10 commentary, week of April 29-May 5, 2018; WSFM-LP, 103.3 FM, Asheville FM, North Carolina
1.) Kitten Forever _ Semi-Permanent (Rat Queen) … If you were at Jack Off Jill’s only U.S. reunion show date, July 18, 2015 at The Orange Peel, you might’ve seen Minneapolis feminist punk trio Kitten Forever as openers. Formed in 2006, Kitten Forever execute rad riot-grrrrl punk sound via bass-drums-vocals on their fourth album, Semi-Permanent.
2.) 12) The Damned _ Evil Spirits (Spine Farm) … Matt the Free Range DJ wrote: “The Damned release their 11th record and first in ten years, and it’s kinda awesome. They do not sound like the band that released their first punk single New Rose in 1976. However, that’s not a bad thing. They are a punk band aging gracefully. Founding members guitarist Captain Sensible and vocalist Dave Vanian have been joined by Black Album era bassist Paul Gray. The styles are all over the place, from garage, to crooner, and poppy Motown vibes. This record is hard to categorize, but I like every track.”
3.) A Place to Bury Strangers _ Pinned (Dead Oceans) … New York City post-punk band with elements of goth, noise-rock and noise-pop, and shoegaze FX. Pinned is AP2BS’s fifth full-length album since 2007. … ASHEVILLE CONCERT NOTE: A Place To Bury Strangers @ Mothlight w/Prettiest Eyes (L.A.) and Lacy Jags (Chapel Hill, NC) on May 27.
4.) 20) Post Animal _ When I Think of You in a Castle (polyvinyl) … Post Animal are a Chicago psych-pop sextet, formed 2014, with elements of prog (arrangements, keys) and glam (riffs, melodies, choruses) which come together nicely on this album. … ASHEVILLE CONCERT NOTE: Post Animal @ Mothlight w/ Paul Cherry (Chicago) and Asheville’s Shaken Nature on June 6.
5.) Sarah Louise _ Deeper Woods (Thrill Jockey) … DJ Sarah B. wrote: “As its title would suggest, Deeper Woods contains a lot of nature imagery and sometimes reads like a field guide to Western North Carolina. Thom Nguyen (drums), Jason Meahger (electric bass), Sally Anne Morgan (fiddle), Emmalee Hunnicutt (cello), Tyler Damon (chimes), and the Carolina chickadee (birdsong) all contribute their talents to this edgily beautiful record, rich in reverence tinged with grief.”
ASHEVILLE CONCERT NOTE: Sarah Louise @ Mothlight w/Tashi Dorji/Emmalee Hunnicutt Duo on May 17.
6.) X) 27) 19) 14) 2) 10) Guided By Voices _ Space Gun (GBV Inc.) … ASHEVILLE CONCERT NOTE: Guided By Voices @ Grey Eagle, this Friday, May 11.
7.) 14) 3) 8) Nihilist Cheerleader _ Riot, Right? (Perfect Attendance) … hopefully this indie-punk band from Athens, Georgia, revisits Asheville this summer (played Mothlight last July w/Asheville locals The Power and Jackson Harem).
8.) Livingdog _ All This Beauty (Eternal Mind) … Livingdog is the transcendent post-folk of Asheville resident Corey Parlamento who will play a full band album release show this Saturday, May 12 @ newer Haywood Road venue Ambrose West w/Shane Parish and improv comedy troupe Family Dinner.
9.) 1) Sleep _ The Sciences (Third Man) … no such thing as too much Sleep, as the northern California stoner doom metal merchants proffer their first album in nearly 20 years.
10.) 29) Wrong _ Feel Great (Relapse) … killer noise-rock band from Miami, Florida, (members of TORCHE, ex-Capsule, ex-Kylesa) whose second album, Feel Great, is packed with compact rock-boxes of riffs which draw heavily from Helmet, Melvins, Quicksand, Unsane, but updating those templates for even more mobility, mainly by jacking up the rhythms to whip-lashing effect.
Major thanks to everyone who contributed to Asheville FM’s Spring Fund Drive last week.
Appreciate ya !