Asheville FM 103.3 WSFM-LP Jazz, World, Hip Hop, Experimental, Top Adds, and Top 30 Play Charts, Feb. 11-17, 2018
Top 10 JAZZ
1) SPONTANEOUS MUSIC ENSEMBLE _ Karyobin (Emanem)
2) FIRE! _ The Hands (Rune Grammofon)
3) KHAN JAMAL CREATIVE ARTS ENSEMBLE _ Drum Dance to the Motherland (Eremite)
4) JAIMIE BRANCH _ Fly or Die (International Anthem)
5) QUARTET NL _ Quartet NL (ICP)
6) MATTHEW SHIPP QUARTET _ Not Bound (For Tune)
7) ROSCOE MITCHELL ORCHESTRA _ Discussions (WideHive)
8) FREE RADICALS _ Free Radicals (Leo)
9) SUNWATCHERS _ II (Trouble In Mind)
10) FRED FRITH/HANS KOCH _ You Are Here (Intakt)
WORLD MUSIC top 10
1. Bebel Gilberto _ Live at the Belly Up (SELF-RELEASED)
2. V/A _ El Apagon: Peruvian Chicha from the Horoscopo Vaults 1978-1988 (PHARAWAY SOUNDS)
3. Sonido Gallo Negro _ Mambo Cosmico (T-VOX)
4. Brenda Navarrete _ Mi Mundo (ALMA)
5. 3MA _ Anarouz (SIX DEGREES)
6. Femi Kuti _ One People One World (KNITTING FACTORY)
7. George Mukabi _ Furaha Wenye Gita (MISSISSIPPI)
8. Orquesta Akokan _ Self-Titled (DAPTONE)
9. Camarão _ The Imaginary Soundtrack to a Brazilian Western Movie (1964 – 1974) (ANALOG AFRICA)
10. Boubacar Traoré _ Dounia Tabolo (LUSAFRICA)
ten top HIP HOP
1) BLACK PANTHER: THE ALBUM _ VARIOUS ARTISTS (Top Dawg/Interscope
2) DR OCTAGON _ ”Octagon Octagon” [Single] (Bulk / Caroline)
3) DRAKE _ ”Scary Hours” [Single] (OVO)
4) SPACEMAN JONES AND THE MOTHERSHIPS _ Vol II (Self-Released)
5) DABRYE _ Three/Three (Ghostly International)
6 SKYZOO _ In Celebration of Us (Empire)
7 PRHYME _ PRhyme 2 (PRhyme)
8 CUT CHEMIST _ Die Cut [Advance Tracks] (A Stable Sound)
9 CZARFACE AND DOOM _ ”Nautical Depths” [Single] (Silver Age)
10 ABHI THE NOMAD _ Marbled (Tommy Boy)
Experimental top 10
1. Spacemen 3 _ Dream Weapon: An Evening of Contemporary Sitar Music (SUPERIOR VIADUCT)
2. Bill Orcutt _ Why Four Strings (PALILALIA)
3. Story/Moebius & Liedecker _ Familiar (BUREAU B)
4. Art Zoyd _ 44 1/2 (CUNIEFORM)
5. Itchy-O _ From the Overflowing (ALTERNATIVE TENTACLES)
6. Ex Eye _ s/t (NORTHERN SPY)
7. Subterrene _ Are You or Have You Ever Been (BAD ARCHITECT)
8. Robert Haigh _ Creatures of the Deep (UNSEEN WORLDS)
9. Olivier Alary _ Pieces for Sine Wave Oscillation (LINE)
10. Schnellertollermeir _ Rights (CUNIEFORM)
1) Belle and Sebastian _ How to Solve Our Human Problems (Matador)
2) Ought _ Room Inside The World (Merge)
3) Son Lux _ Bright Wounds (City Slang)
4) Sonido Gallo Negro _ Mambo Cosmico (GLITTERBEAT)
5) AJ Ghent _ The Neo Blues Project (Ropeadope)
6) Born Ruffians _ Uncle, Duke & The Chieft (Yep Roc)
7) Forest Bees _ Forest Bees EP (Venerable Wax President)
8) Good Field _ Surface Tension (Self Released)
9) Hovvdy _ Cranberry (Double Double Whammy)
10) Wet Tuna _ Livin’ The Die (Feeding Tube)
Top 30 Play Chart, WSFM-LP, 103.3 FM, Asheville FM, North Carolina
1.) X) 23) Ty Segall _ Freedom’s Goblin (Drag City)
2.) 6) The Prefab Messiahs _ Psychsploitation Today (Lollipop)
3.) X) various artists _ Interferencias Vol. 1: Spanish Synth Wave (Munster)
4.) X) No Age _ Snares Like a Haircut (Drag City)
5.) X) Screaming Females _ All At Once (Don Giovanni)
6.) X) The Go! Team _ Semicircle (Memphis Industries)
7.) X) Marriage + Cancer _ Marriage + Cancer (Self Sabotage)
8.) X) Mammoth Grinder _ Cosmic Crypt (Relapse)
9.) X) Prana Crafter _ Bodhi Cheetah’s Choice (beyond beyond is beyond)
10.) X) Khruangbin _ Con Todo El Mundo (Late Night Tales)
11.) X) The James Hunter Six _ Whatever It Takes (Daptone)
12.) X) The Spook School _ Could It Be Any Different? (Slumberland)
13.) 2) Brigid Mae Power _ The Two Worlds (Tompkins Square)
14.) 4) ShitKid _ This Is It EP (PNKSLM)
15.) 8) Saxon _ Thunderbolt (Militia Guard Music)
16.) X) Wooing _ Daydream Time Machine (Ba Da Bing)
17.) X) 22) 3) Fire! _ The Hands (Rune Grammofon)
18.) 11) 8) Hollie Cook _ Vessel of Love (Merge)
19.) 7) Mudhoney _ LiE (Live in Europe) (SUB POP)
20.) X) X) 20) Shopping _ The Official Body (FatCat)
21.) 13) Field Music _ Open Here (Memphis Industries)
22.) X) 14) X) X) 14) St. Vincent _ MASSEDUCTION (Loma Vista Recordings)
23.) X) Laila Biali _ Laila Biali (ACT Music)
24.) 21) 9) 29) 10) The Prids _ Do I Look Like I’m In Love? (This-a-Way)
25.) 19) 11) Bjork _ Utopia (One Little Indian)
26.) X) Holy _ All These Worlds Are Yours (PNKSLM)
27.) 3) 29) Spice Boys _ Glare (PNKSLM)
28.) 22) 12) 2) 19) Tune-Yards _ I can feel you creeping into my private life (4AD)
29.) X) Applesauce Tears _ Pastoral (Black Cottage)
30.) 1) Sunwatchers _ II (Trouble in Mind)
weekly rank.) previous) rank) … X) = did not chart that week
Asheville FM Top Ten commentary:
1987 was a banner year for American alternative music, check it and see: Dinosaur Jr.’s You’re Living All Over Me; Butthole Surfers’ Locust Abortion Technician; Big Black’s Songs About Effing; Bongwater’s Breaking No New Ground; Big Stick’s Crack Attack; B.A.L.L.’s Period (Another American Lie); Corrosion of Conformity’s Technocracy; Das Damen’s Jupiter; Gibson Bros.’ Big Pine Boogie; Great Plains’ Sum Things Up; Green River’s Dry As Bone; Honeymoon Killers’ Turn Me On; Killdozer’s Little Baby Buntin’; Live Skull’s Dusted and Don’t Get Any on You; Meat Puppets’ Mirage; Opal’s Happy Nightmare Baby; Raging Slab’s Assmaster; Redd Kross’ Neurotica; Scratch Acid’s Bezerker; Screaming Trees’ Even If And Especially When; Sonic Youth’s Sister; Soundgarden’s Screaming Life; Squirrel Bait’s Skag Heaven; Pixies’ Come on Pilgrim; Pussy Galore’s Right Now!, Volcano Suns’ Bumper Crop; White Zombie’s Soul-Crusher, G.G. Allin’s You Give Love A Bad Name; and R.E.M.’s Document.
One of the blessed American babies born in the middle of that year, 1987, was Ty Garret Segall, who was luckily adopted by a loving reliable family in Laguna Beach, California.
Flash to 2018, with close to 20 albums out of his head, Ty Segall is now the psychedelic garage punk rock voice of this generation and era. Segall’s latest double album Freedom’s Goblin is our Exile On Main St., our London Calling, our Daydream Nation/Dirty/Washing Machine, our Love Of Life, … our White Album.
We realize that Asheville WSFM is but one of hundreds of college and community radio stations that charted Ty Segall at #1 this week. We proudly stand with all of them _ the artist, the independent record label Drag City (almost 30 years old) which backs him, all the non-commercial radio stations that broadcast enjoyable interesting informative programming on shoe-string potato budgets _ as an alternative radio nation in defiance of everything that is needlessly terrible, ridiculously trite, destructively pollutive, historically amnesic, willfully neglectful, criminally corrupt, and unforgivably murderous.
Well then …
The Prefab Messiahs _ Psychsploitation Today (Lollipop) are the only returning entity from last week’s Top Ten, moving up from #6 to #2. These garage psych-poppers from Wormtown-to-Boston, back from their 1980s grave, had been gone so long that they’re not ready to leave Asheville FM’s Top Ten just yet.
Speaking of Massachusetts, former zine/longtime distro Forced Exposure thoughtfully sent AFM a care package last week out of the blue. Of it, we quickly added the CD compilation Interferencias Vol. 1: Spanish Synth Wave 1980-1989 (Munster) to our NEW play shelf and the variety of Iberian new wave songs on it propelled this import to the #3 spot.
Drag City’s second entry in AFM’s Top Ten this week is the new album by Los Angeles garage-punk duo No Age, whose Snares Like A Haircut album debuts on our charts at #4.
Tipping out the Top 5ive are Screaming Females, back with All At Once _ their 8th album since 2007, followup to 2015’s Rose Mountain _ on New Brunswick, New Jersey, homies Don Giovanni Records.
ASHEVILLE CONCERT NOTE: Screaming Females play The Mothlight w/Teenage Halloween, HIRS, and Thou on April 15.
From Brighton, England, The Go! Team marches into the #6 spot with Semicircle (Memphis Industries), their 5th album since 2004, full of fun martial dance anthems.
The self-titled debut by Portland, Oregon, noise-rockers Marriage + Cancer (Self Sabotage) yowed its way to #7, while Austin, Texas, death metal band Mammoth Grinder (now improved with new members from Iron Reagan) steamrolled to #8 with their latest album, Cosmic Crypt (Relapse).
The psych-folk of Prana Crafter _ Bodhi Cheetah’s Choice (Beyond Beyond Is Beyond) transcends to #9, while multi-faceted Texas psych-trio Khruangbin _ Con Todo El Mundo (Dead Oceans) caps Asheville FM’s Top Ten for the week that was February 11-17, 2018.
ASHEVILLE CONCERT NOTE: Khruangbin plays The Grey Eagle w/The Mattson 2 on April 4.
Of staggered synchronicity note: three deejays on three separate Asheville FM programs all played different versions of “Shakin’ All Over” (made most famous by The WHO-> and The Guess Who ) this past week. Firstly, DJ Sarah B. played the 1973 Suzi Quatro version on her Songs For Friends show Monday late afternoon. Then Matt the Free-Range Deejay played Wanda Jackson’s 2011 version on his Tuesday midnight into Wednesday show Let There Be Rock. Finally, on Saturday mid-afternoon, we played the original Johnny Kidd & The Pirates’ 1960 hit on My So-Called Radio Show to honor the February 20 birthday of guitarist Poison Ivy Rorschach, who co-founded The Cramps with singer Lux Interior (who passed away in 2009 on Feb. 4).
happy birthday, Poison Ivy ~ ~ ~ (we always … wonder what … she’s doin’ now.)