Asheville FM 103.3 WSFM-LP Jazz, World, Hip Hop, Experimental, Top Adds, and Top 30 Play Charts, Feb. 4-10, 2018
Top 10 JAZZ
1 SUNWATCHERS _ II (Trouble in Mind)
2 ROSCOE MITCHELL ORCHESTRA _ Discussions (WideHive)
3 FIRE! _ The Hands (Rune Grammofon)
4 ALAN “GUNGA” PURVES _ Hide & Squeak (Brokken)
5 JAIMIE BRANCH _ Fly or Die (International Anthem)
6 SPONTANEOUS MUSIC ENSEMBLE _ Karyobin (Emanem)
7 ABDULLAH IBRAHIM _ Ancient Africa (Delmark)
8 DAVE REMPIS _ Lattice (Aerophonic)
9 QUARTET NL _ Quartet NL (ICP)
10 MATTHEW SHIPP QUARTET _ Not Bound (For Tune)
WORLD MUSIC top 10
1. Boubacar Traoré _ Dounia Tabolo (LUSAFRICA)
2. Dolores Vargas _ Anana Funk Hip (PHARAWAY SOUNDS)
3. Bebel Gilberto _ Live at the Belly Up (SELF-RELEASED)
4. Shujaat Khan, Katayoun Goudarzi, Kevin Hays, Tim Ries _ Will You? (TAMES)
5. Chicago Afrobeat Project _ What Goes Up (SELF-RELEASED)
6. V/A _ El Apagon: Peruvian Chicha from the Horoscopo Vaults 1978-1988 (PHARAWAY SOUNDS)
7. Sonido Gallo Negro _ Mambo Cosmico (T-VOX)
8. V/A _ ANDINA: The Sound of the Peruvian Andes 1968-1978 (STRUT)
9. Les Amazones d’Afrique _ République Amazone (REAL WORLD)
10. Brenda Navarrete _ Mi Mundo (ALMA)
ten top HIP HOP
1 PRHYME _ PRhyme 2 (PRhyme)
2 MACKROSOFT _ Mackister Ludi The Glass Weed Game (Self-Released)
3 UNCLE MEG _ Can’t Stay The Same (Self-Released)
4 DABRYE _ Three/Three (Ghostly International)
5 SPACEMAN JONES AND THE MOTHERSHIPS _ Vol II (Self-Released)
6 PLANET ASIA _ The Golden Buddha (Brick)
7 PRO ERA _ “King to a God feat Joey Bada$$ and Jessy Hinds)” [Single] (Self-Released)
8 CURTIS ROACH _ “Slyb” [Single] (699670DK)
9 JPEGMAFIA _ Veteran (Self-Released)
10 SKYZOO _ In Celebration of Us (Empire)
Experimental top 10
1. Nona Hendryx and Gary Lucas _ The World of Capt.Beefheart (KNITTING FACTORY)
2. Robbie Basho _ Live in Forli, Italy 1982 (OBSOLETE RECORDINGS)
3. Bitchin Bajas _ Bajas Fresh (DRAG CITY)
4. Alvarius B. _ With a Beaker on the Burner and an Otter in the Oven (ABDUCTION)
5. Itchy-O _ From the Overflowing (ALTERNATIVE TENTACLES)
6. Steve Roden _ Walking From Savoonga To Gambell (LINE)
7. Bill Orcutt _ Why Four Strings (PALILALIA)
8. Tashi Dorji & Tyler Damon _ Leave No Trace (FAMILY VINEYARD)
9. Makaya McCraven _ Highly Rare (INTERNATIONALS ANTHERM, LLC)
10. William Price-Rush Hour (ABLAZE)
Top Adds (with commentary)
1) THE SPOOK SCHOOL _ Could It Be Different? (Slumberland) … superb third album since 2013 by this Scottish indie pop band from Edinburgh.
ASHEVILLE CONCERT NOTE: The Spook School plays The Mothlight on a sweet tour package with Diet Cig (New Paltz, New York) and Great Grandpa (Seattle) on Feb. 25
2) THE JAMES HUNTER SIX _ Whatever It Takes (Daptone) … also third album since 2013 from this English R&B musician-soul singer and his Six.
3) THE APPLESAUCE TEARS _ Pastoral (Black Cottage) … second album of atmospheric cinematic psychedelic instrumentals by this Athens, Georgia to Atlanta music collective.
4) WOOING _ Daydream Time Machine [EP] (Ba Da Bing) … as a child during the early oughts/2000s, Rachel Trachtenburg sang with her mom and dad in the Trachtenburg Family Slideshow Players. now she helms new project Wooing which just released a 3-song debut 7” of indie-avant psychedelic rock.
5) PRANA CRAFTER _ Bodhi Cheetah’s Choice (Beyond Beyond Is Beyond) … “Prana Crafter is the psych folk project of life-long forest dweller William Sol of Washington’s Olympic Peninsula. Spanning the territories of lo-fi acoustic folk, heavy fuzzed psych rock, and ambient experimentation, Prana Crafter’s latest album is ‘dank with the moss of the best burrowed forest psych – bubbling acoustic strums in a vat of ozone-scummed guitar.’”
6) KHRUANGBIN _ Con Todo El Mundo (Dead Oceans) … second album from this Burton, Texas, psychedelic trio, influenced by 1960’s Thailand funk scene, 1970’s Persian rock, and 1980’s Algerian symphonia plus dashes of disco, soul, and balearic music.
ASHEVILLE CONCERT NOTE: Khruangbin plays The Grey Eagle (w/The Mattson 2) on April 4
7) MARRIAGE + CANCER _ Marriage + Cancer (Self Sabotage) … primo scree Northwestern noise-rock with a groove from Portland, Oregon.
8) INTERFERENCIAS VOL. 1 – SPANISH SYNTH WAVE 1980-1989 compilation (Munster) … Twenty, count ‘em, 20 Spanish bands with synthesizers playing new wave in the 1980s during their new era of cultural freedom in post-fascist Spain after the 1975 death of single-party dictator Generalissimo Francisco Franco (still dead).
9) HAPPY FITS, THE _ Awfully Apeelin’ (Self-Released) … greetings from Pittstown, New Jersey, with Strokes-sy melodies played w/cello and guitars.
10) THE GO! TEAM _ Semicircle (Memphis Industries) … 5th album since 2004 by this super-fun mod psych Bolly-hop cut-up dance pop marching band squad from Brighton, England.
Top 30 Play, Feb. 4-10, 2018, WSFM-LP 103.3 Asheville FM
1) Sunwatchers _ II (Trouble in Mind)
2) Bridget Mae Power _ The Two Worlds (Tompkins Square)
3) Spice Boys _ Glade (PNKSLM)
4) ShitKid _ This Is It EP (PNKSLM)
5) Anna Burch _ Quit the Curse (polyvinyl)
6) The Prefab Messiahs _ Psychsploitation Today (Lollipop)
7) Mudhoney _ LiE (Live in Europe) (SUB POP)
8) Saxon _ Thunderbolt (Militia Guard Music)
9) Hidden Rifles _ Across the Neighborhoods (Total Life Society)
10) Toto _ Greatest Hits: 40 Trips Around the Sun (Legacy)
11) Hollie Cook _ Vessel of Love (Merge)
12) King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard _ Gumboot Soup (ATO)
13) Field Music _ Open Hear (Memphis Industries)
14) Mimicking Birds _ Layers of Us (Fat Possum/Hostess)
15) Robbie Basho _ Live in Forli (ESP Disk Ltd.)
16) Dolores Vargas _ Anana Funk Hip 1970-1975 (Pharaway)
17) Naked Naps _ Year of the Chump (Self Aware)
18) Boubacar Traore _ Dounia Tabolo (Lusfrica)
19) Bjork _ Utopia (One Little Indian)
20) H.C. McEntire _ Lionhearted (Merge)
21) The Prids _ Do I Look Like I’m In Love? (This-a-Way)
22) Tune-Yards _ I can feel you creep into my private life (4AD)
23) Bitchin’ Bajas _ Baja Fresh (Drag City)
24) Little Mazarn _ Little Mazarn (Self Sabotage)
25) Nona Hendryx & Gary Lucas _ The World of Captain Beefheart (Knitting Factory)
26) Reina del Cid _ Rerun City (self-release)
27) Wilco _ Being There (Deluxe Edition) (Rhino/Warner Bros)
28) Bee Bee Sea _ Sonic Boomerang (Dirty Water USA)
29) Dream Wife _ Dream Wife (Lucky Number Music Limited)
30) The Sufis _ After Hours (Burger)
commentary on TOP TEN of the TOP 30
Total turnover in the hippy Top Ten of 103.3 WSFM-LP Asheville, no returning champion nor contenders from last week, so it goes, so it goes … all new Top Ten includes:
Sunwatchers _ a Brooklyn, New York-based state of the art alternative avant garde experimental punk and free-jazz-influenced psychedelic rock group _ levitated to the #1 spot during the week of February 4-10, 2018, with their 4th release since 2014.
Backed by Chicago record label Trouble In Mind (also home to Olden Yolk, Omni, Salad Boys), the album cover of Sunwatchers II (“two”, y’know, like them Led Zeppelin, Van Halen, Meat Puppets, Don Caballero albums) reads: “Sunwatchers stand in solidarity with the dispossessed, impoverished, and embattled people of the world.”
At #2, from Galway, Ireland, comes the arresting ghost-folk of Brigid Mae Power’s album The Two Worlds (Tompkins Square), her third release since 2016.
Swedish invasion at #3 and #4 with the garage psych of Spice Boys’ debut album Glade and lo-fi wunderkind ShitKid’s This Is It 6-song EP, her 4th release since 2016. Both releases are on record label PNKSLM outta Stockholm AND London (love the Holiday Ghosts album PNKSLM released last year).
#5 Anna Burch’s debut album Quit The Curse (polyvinyl, home of Rainer Maria) rounds out the tippy Top 5ive. This Detroit singer-songwriter of catchy indie pop tunes, Anna Burch opens for Ezra Furman at The Grey Eagle on March 11.
The Prefab Messiahs, a “Left-field OG Garage-Psych-Pop” band started and ended in early 1980s Worcester “Wormtown”, Massachusetts, reunited 2012. So here we are now with The Prefab Messiahs latest album, Psychsploitation Today (Lolipop / Burger), which walks on water to #6.
Celebrating their 30th anniversary as Seattle’s flagship grunge band, Mudhoney _ who played at the Grey Eagle in 2014 for Harvest Records’ 10th Anniversary celebration _ fetes fans with blazing Mudhoney 2016 Euro-tour live recordings on LiE which wallows in the mire at the #7 spot on SUB POP.
No, that’s not a flashback to the Monsters Of Rock festival at Castle Donnington yer having. It’s New Wave Of British Heavy Metal battle horse band Saxon claiming the #8 spot with Thunderbolt, their 22nd album since 1979.
Hidden Rifles are a noise-rock supergroup involving bassist Mike Watt (Minutemen, dos, fIREHOSE), guitarists Norm Westberg (Swans) and Mark Shippy (U.S. Maple), drummer Jim Sykes (Invisible Things w/ Shippy), and vocalist Matthew Wascovich (Scarcity of Tanks). Hidden Rifles’ debut album, Across The Neighborhoods, was released in October of 2017 (on Cleveland record label Total Life Society, which previously issued lots of Scarcity of Tanks), but in its first week on Asheville FM’s play shelf, Hidden Rifles somehow smuggled its way to #9 #9 #9 ~
But how did #10 Toto _ Greatest Hits: 40 Trips Around the Sun (Columbia/Legacy) _ a career-spanning collection of songs plus 3 new ones by guitarist-vocalist Stevie Lukather & this Grammy Award-winning group of Musicians Hall of Fame’ers _ how did Toto wind up on Asheville FM’s play chart at all? (Nevermind rounding out the Top Ten!)
Well, this Top 10 Toto triumph resulted from the smooth pop music passion of DJ Erik Mattox, who helms two of WSFM-LP Asheville FM’s unique radio programs: The Uncola, which plays forgotten, unforgettable pop from yester-decades on Tuesday evenings, and The West Coast Breeze with Laguna Lou early Thursday afternoons. Erik personally added this Toto best of and yes, that song about Rosanna Arquette is on there too.
Toto muse Rosanna Arquette with Danceteria bff Madonna
WSFM-LP 103.3 Asheville FM, North Carolina, US@