In an attempt to further minimize all opportunities for exposure and transmission of COVID-19 across the jurisdiction, the following sites across WNC have been closed until further notice:
- All community and recreation centers – Including the WNC Nature Center
- Lake Powhatan
- Bent Creek Road and the associated Ledford Branch trailhead
- Azalea Park – Including John B. Lewis Soccer Complex and dog park
- Carrier Park – Including playground
- French Broad River Park – Including dog park
- Martin Luther King Jr. Park – Including playground
- Pack Square Park
- Pritchard Park
- Richmond Hill Park
- The Biltmore Estate has temporarily closed to the public – Refunds for guests with tickets or reservations during the impacted time will be issued.
- The Botanical Gardens at Asheville
- Great Smoky Mountains National Park areas – Except the Foothills Parkway and the Spur, on the far western Tennessee side of the park
- Carl Sandburg Home
- DuPont State Recreational Forest
- Half of the Black Mountain trailhead on U.S. 276
- One entrance to the Pisgah Ranger Station/Visitor Center on U.S. 276
- The lower portion of Avery Creek Road and associated designated roadside campsites.
- Coontree Recreation Area
- Looking Glass Falls Picnic Are – The falls are barricaded and parking on U.S. 276 will be limited.
- Pink Beds Recreation Area
- NF State Road 816 – At the Blue Ridge Parkway intersection at Black Balsam
- Rice Pinnacle trailhead – Bent Creek Experimental Forest
- Beaver Lake
- Gorges State Park
- Mount Mitchell State Park
- Chimney Rock – Chimney Rock State Park
- Max Patch – Cherokee and Pisgah National Forests
- Roan Mountain/Carvers Gap – Cherokee and Pisgah National Forests
- Lovers Leap – Pisgah National Forest
- Wayah Bald – Nantahala National Forest
- Cheoah Bald – Nantahala National Forest
- Laurel Falls – Cherokee National Forest
- Osborne Farm – Cherokee National Forest
At this point, the Blue Ridge Parkway and walking trails in the City parks remain open. Trailheads and parking areas will have signs posted warning of the closures.
If using trails, please practice social distancing, including maintaining a distance of 6 feet between one another, washing your hands, not engaging with individuals outside of your home and reducing your exposure as much as possible! And for your safety, limit high-risk activities – Law enforcement and search and rescue operations may be limited due to COVID-19!
Visit the NC Forest Service website for a complete list of closures that will be updated continually.