ASHEVILLE, NC – June 28, 2023 – The COVID-19 metrics are on the CDC’s COVID Dashboard. Weekly data indicate:
- Hospital admissions are at a low level in every county in North Carolina and almost 100% of the counties in the U.S. from the week ending on June 10th
- About 3% of the provisional deaths in North Carolina were due to COVID-19 during the week ending on June 17th
- Emergency room visits for COVID-19 are minimal in North Carolina from the week ending on June 17th
Wastewater monitoring can be used to provide early warning for COVID outbreaks. The Buncombe & Henderson counties wastewater data for the week ending on June 14th is on the North Carolina COVID Dashboard.
- The number of viral gene copies in each water sample is at a yellow level representing the middle level of 5 groups.
- The 15-day rate of change of the number of viral gene copies in each water sample is very negative
The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services wants everyone to know that:
- COVID-19 can affect people differently. Some people have mild symptoms like a cold and others have more severe symptoms like a bad case of the flu. Some effects can be long-lasting.
- Older adults and immunocompromised people are at a higher risk of developing severe illness and being hospitalized. The CDC recommends that people in these groups get an updated COVID-19 bivalent booster because it gives added protection.
The Department of Health and Human Services recommends:
- Stay up-to-date with COVID-19 vaccines
- For extra protection, wear an effective medical grade mask
- People who are positive for COVID-19 or do not feel well should stay home
- People with any COVID symptoms should get tested
- If you test positive, your doctor may recommend medical treatment
More and more Americans have developed some immunity to COVID-19 from immunizations and previous infection. New variants continue to infect people with the most at-risk groups more susceptible to severe illness.
Listen to the full report below:
Contact: Dr. Dick Needleman, Health reporter, 103.3 AshevilleFM, firstname.lastname@example.org