ASHEVILLE, NC – April 26, 2023 – The CDC’s COVID-19 Community Levels describe the impact of COVID illness on each county’s healthcare system. The community level for Buncombe County remains at a low level for the week ending April 17th. Every county in North Carolina is low. About 98% of the counties in the U.S. are at a low level.
The CDC’s Community Transmission Levels describe how much disease is within each county. The community transmission level for Buncombe County remains at a moderate level for the week ending April 16th. Most counties in North Carolina are at a moderate level. About 20% of the counties in the U.S. are at a high level with about 20% at a low level.
The Buncombe County COVID-19 metrics are on the North Carolina COVID Dashboard. Data from the week ending on April 15th indicate:
- Last week’s total cases are up by 25 (48%) from the previous week
- 68% of the total population have received their initial vaccination series.
- 33% of people with their initial vaccination series have had the updated booster.
- The seven-day daily average of COVID-19 hospitalizations has increased by 2 and of ICU patients has decreased by 3 from last week.
An updated COVID-19 booster is now available for eligible persons 6 months and older. It is more effective at protecting against severe illness and death from the new variants.
The Department of Health and Human Services recommends:
- Stay up-to-date with COVID-19 vaccines and the updated booster.
- People with any COVID symptoms should get tested
- People who are positive for COVID-19 or do not feel well should stay home
For a county at a low community level, like Buncombe County, the CDC recommends:
- If you are at high risk for getting sick, wear a high-quality mask in a public indoors space.
- If you plan on being with someone at high risk for getting sick, consider self-testing for COVID-19 infection and wear a high-quality mask when indoors with them.
Listen to the full report below:
Contact: Dr. Dick Needleman, Health reporter, 103.3 AshevilleFM, email@example.com