UPDATE: POSITION FILLED Dec. 1, 2016 — Announcement forthcoming…
ASHEVILLE FM GENERAL MANAGER JOB DESCRIPTION
Asheville FM (WSFM-LP 103.3), a volunteer-based grassroots non-profit community radio station in Asheville, N.C., is seeking to hire a general manager.
Formed in 2009 as an internet-only radio outlet reflecting the rich stew of arts, culture and community in Asheville and Western North Carolina, AFM successfully secured its spot on the airwaves in May 2015. The station is comprised of over 70 active volunteers producing sixty local, original programs. Its volunteer base is rapidly expanding, along with its community support.
The general manager is employed by the station’s Board of Directors, Friends of Community Radio, Inc. The general manager will work in collaboration and cooperation with the volunteers, membership, independent contractors, and board to help usher in a new era for Asheville FM.
● Understand and support Friends of Community Radio and Asheville FM’s mission.
● Communicate station policies, goals, and objectives to volunteers and ensure they are being followed and implemented.
● Work closely with department heads.
● Oversee daily office operations, including maintaining regular office hours.
● Develop and maintain a long-term plan for sustainable station finances through means such as membership, events, grants, underwriting, and planned giving.
● Oversee two semi-annual on-air fund drives, in coordination with fund drive committee.
● Work in coordination with the Board and Treasurer for budget development and tracking, revenue forecasting, maintenance of financial records, and other general financial obligations.
● Ensure compliance with FCC rules and regulations, federal state & local laws, underwriting standards, and general professional standards.
● Work closely with Tech Department to ensure effective broadcast programming on a 24-hour basis. Ensure the maintenance and timely repair of Asheville FM’s studios, computers, software, transmitter, and telecommunications needs.
● Exhibit leadership in community outreach for the promotion of Asheville FM, its programs and events, including public speaking, press releases, newsletters, social media, website, etc.
● Participate as an advisor to the Board; submit written reports and recommendations to the Board at monthly meetings.
PREFERRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
● Experience managing a radio/media organization
● Experience with nonprofit organizations
● Fundraising and development skills
● Bachelor’s degree in related field
● Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to maintain working relationships with volunteers, Board members, other community organizations, and donors
● Effectively represent Asheville FM to the public and media organizations
● Ability/history developing and administering a budget
● Thorough knowledge of FCC regulations
● Knowledge of journalistic ethics
● Fluent in the use of standard office equipment and software packages (such as Microsoft Office) and basic knowledge of media editing software (such as Audacity)
Salary range for this full-time position is $40,000 or more, depending on education, experience, and ability to meet organizational goals and objectives. Bonuses possible. Friends of Community Radio offers paid time off and opportunities for professional development.
Send resume and cover letter that includes where you learned about this job to:
Applications will be reviewed as received until the position is filled.
Friends of Community Radio, Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment and operations. Friends of Community Radio, Inc. does not discriminate against individuals on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, religion, disability, age, veteran status, ancestry, or national or ethnic origin.