Here are more resources relating to COVID-19 in Asheville and surrounding areas in Buncombe County. Thank you to Courtney Garcia for additional information.
Effective today, March 18, lasting until further notice – Buncombe County stated that all nonessential, public functions are closed at this time. County officials will reevaluate these changes as more information becomes available. You can find more detailed information at buncombecounty.org or email firstname.lastname@example.org for help
Buncombe County is now taking the following measures until further notice:
- Some nonessential employees will temporarily telecommute and/or be in emergency on-call status.
- For essential employees unable to work remotely, increasing physical working space between employees and modifying operations are among the options being evaluated.
- Public access to county facilities that house nonessential functions will be restricted or closed.
- All public libraries will be closed.
- All County parks and fields will be closed – Sports fields permits are canceled until March 31.
- Permitting Office will be closed, but permitting remains available.
- All Buncombe County Recreation Services programming and special events are canceled or postponed.
- All picnic shelter rentals are canceled until April 30 and no new bookings will be accepted – Existing rentals can be rescheduled for a date after April 30 or credit or refund issued.
Buncombe County Health and Human Services will begin operating two drive-through COVID-19 testing locations on March 18, from 2 – 6 p.m. Testing will be located at Biltmore Church in Arden and at UNC Asheville off of W.T. Weaver Boulevard. Based on the availability of testing supplies, the sites will continue to operate throughout the week from 10:00 am to 6:00 pm each day.
Health officials ask that community members be patient throughout the screening and testing process. Testing is available to all members of the community, regardless of their income or ability to pay.
This COVID-19 drive-thru testing is specifically available for community members who:
- Have a fever combined with either a cough or shortness of breath.
- Have contact with someone with known COVID-19 and are experiencing any of the symptoms: fever, cough or shortness of breath.
Community screening drive-thru testing instructions:
- Drive to one of the following locations:
- Biltmore Church at 35 Clayton Road, Arden, North Carolina 28704
- UNC Asheville Campus, parking lot P28 on University Heights off of W.T. Weaver Boulevard
- Follow the signs for the parking lot where testing will be conducted.
- Stay in your vehicle. An employee will direct where to go and will give you the necessary paperwork before conducting testing and guide you throughout the entire process.
The latest information on local government preparation and COVID-19 news can be found at www.buncombecounty.org/bcready.
Spectrum announced Friday (March 13) that it will offer free access to broadband and WiFi services to homes with students who do not yet have the services – The services will be available for 60 days for homes with K-12 students and/or college students who do not yet have a Spectrum broadband subscription at any level of service up to 100 Mbps – Call your local provider for help.
- Ay Caramba Mexican Grill & Bar – East Asheville – one free meal per kid under the age of 10 – Mon-Fri – This meal will be a taco/enchilada/quesadilla with rice and beans/ French fries. This offer will go until Monday, March 30th.
- Biscuit Head – one free biscuit to any school-age child who comes in each day the schools are closed, starting this coming Monday.
- Cantina Louie – South Asheville – Monday-Friday (March 16 – 20) – Lunch or dinner – one free kid’s taco (choose from shredded chicken, ground beef or bean) to any school-age child.
- Celebrity’s Hot Dogs – Brevard – Friday from now until the end of the month – free hot dog lunch for school-age children.
- ConoSur – Mills River – one free burger and fries to kids while schools are closed – Children have to be present – Takeout only.
- Copper River Grill – From Monday, March 16, through Friday, April 30 – complimentary lunch for school-age children – Between 11 a.m. and 4 p.m. – any item from our Kid’s Menu. No purchase will be necessary.
- El Charro Mexican Restaurant – FREE kids meal for any school-age child, daily – voucher sheets at the register starting March 16, 2020 – four options to choose from listed on the bottom of the sheet – offering temporary curbside service to increase the amount of social distance in the community.
- Fuddruckers of Asheville – Starting Monday, March 16th, and as long as school is out, Fuddruckers Asheville will be extending their Kids Eat Free (17 and under) to ALL DAY, Monday through Friday – *Purchase of one adult meal required per free kids meal
- Inspired Change Yoga w/Best Self Wellness Coaching & Movement – Will be setting up a collection & pick up table outside of Inspired Change Yoga on Wednesday morning (March 18) from 11:00 am until 1:00 pm (or until all the food is gone).
- Old Europe – downtown – free breakfast pastry and juice to any school aged child from 7 a.m. to noon – walk-in or call for curbside pickup, said an employee at the store.
- Pescados Burritos – Brevard – free tacos for kids in need while schools are closed – The restaurant is asking diners to “pay it forward by and donating what you can spare.
- Rosetta’s Kitchen & The Buchi Bar – offering their ‘everyone eats’ beans and rice plates, available FREE for those in need – from their take out window.
- Sand Hill Kitchen – Call 828-633-6868 to request a free bagged lunch – Lunches include peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, an apple, house-fried chips, and pickles – Pick up in the drive-thru at 491 Sardis Road.
- Strada Italiano – Through the end of March – every Monday-Friday – free slice of cheese or pepperoni pizza to grade school students during lunch.
- Wordly Weiners Wings & Things – free hotdog and chips to children who need lunch through the school closings.
- Buncombe County Schools is hosting drive-thru pick up stations for breakfast and lunch in all of their districts at
- Oakley Elementary
- Johnston Elementary
- Emma Elementary
- West Buncombe Elementary
- Hominy Valley Elementary
- Pisgah Elementary
- Owen High School
- Black Mountain Primary
- Weaverville Elementary
- North Windy Ridge Intermediate
- Estes Elementary
- Asheville City Schools
- Monday-Friday – Asheville City Schools will deliver meals from 11:30 am-1:30 pm to …
- Pisgah View Apartments
- Hillcrest Apartments
- Klondyke Apartments
- Livingston Apartments
- Isaac Dickson Elementary School will have a drive-thru option should families prefer a grab and go meal (2:00pm-4:00pm)
- Monday-Friday – Asheville City Schools will deliver meals from 11:30 am-1:30 pm to …
- Meals On the Bus mobile food site will operate Monday-Friday, 11:30 am-1:30 pm, stopping in these four neighborhoods:
- Rock Hill Road
- Whispering Pines
- Pine Valley
- Food Pantries
- 12 Baskets Cafe: A PRogram of Asheville Poverty Initiative – Tuesdays and Thursdays from 11:00 am-1:00 pm, until April 1st – Here’s what to expect: Show up with your container/s (Pots, pans, Tupperware, bags, whatever container you have will do) – We will have a menu posted at the door of the Cafe – A companion will take your order and your container inside to fill it with the food you’ve chosen – You won’t be able to stay and eat there – Order as much as you need to get you through and even share with those where you are headed – We will also be providing food to the Rescue Mission and Learning Centers and Battery Park.
- Beaverdam Community Center – 3rd Wednesday of Every Month, 9:00 am – Hosting a “drive-through” pantry – Pull up in front of the building and a volunteer will run a box or two out to you – All volunteers will have clean and sanitized hands and will be wearing gloves while packing your groceries.
- Bounty & Soul – Black Mountain – Hosting drive-thru pick up sites Tuesdays at St. James Episcopal Church Parking Lot from 11 am-1 pm and Fridays at Black Mountain Presbyterian Church Parking Lot from 4-6 pm – No cost – No eligibility requirements – Please stay in your car and do not arrive to the site prior to the scheduled times.
- Trinity of Fairview – Tuesdays, 9:00 am-12:00 pm – Drive-thru food pantry – Get in line, stay in your car and they will assist you.
- Western Carolina Rescue Ministries – Public Meals Daily 11:30 am-12:30 pm & 4:30 pm-5:30 pm – Food Boxes through a drive-thru service on Tuesdays, 2:00 pm-3:00 pm Western Carolina Rescue Ministries will be serving public meals to the Asheville community from outside of the building until further notice. Additional Changes are NO Clothing closet, NO public showers, and NO public restroom.
- YMCA Mobile Markets – Beginning Monday, March 16th they will hand out pre-packaged bags for pick up – Normal mobile market operating hours – Distributions are FREE and open to ALL! – The YMCA is also offering help to people who are quarantined and need food resources. Call 828-775-7081 for assistance.
- MANNA Food Banks – Contact your nearest or preferred site for instructions on pick up.